Thursday, November 15, 2012

Book Review:The God Of The Mundane

Matthew B. Redmond is a talented writer. I've been a long time follower of his blog, so of course I was thrilled to get my hands on his debut book 'The God Of The Mundane'. I had read the series of blog posts that would eventually lead to the book, and felt even as I was reading those initial posts, that what Matt was saying, the world needed to hear. I'm thankful that Kalos Press felt the same way. 

As I said, Matt is a superb writer. Because Matt is such a superb writer, this book is a joy to read. 'The God Of The Mundane' is the type of book that you can read, and get lost in. Once you finish, you'll want to read it again. Because of the content of the book, this is a book you need to read again.

Let me be up front. I don't agree with everything Matt says in this book. I don't agree with how Matt says everything in this book. And that is okay. Matt has indeed accurately diagnosed a huge problem within the Christian church, and the questions he asks are important. His voice is one that needs to be heard in the world of evangelicalism. The conversation that Matt has started is one that needs to continue, and all Christians, and perhaps Pastors in particular need to take note.

In the world of bigger and better and more radical Christianity...it's refreshing to read someone who wants to see and talk about the God of the everyday. It's refreshing to see someone who sees the eternal value of every inch of life. It's refreshing to see someone who understands the line between spiritual work and secular work doesn't really exist.

Again, I don't agree with all of the conclusions that Matt comes to...But, I certainly agree with Matt that there is a problem with how we are talking about faith, and how we view faith. True biblical faith isn't one size fits all, and it certainly doesn't look the same for each of us. I'm thankful that Matt has started the conversation, and I pray the conversation continues.

'The God Of The Mundane' will be out early next month, and is currently available for pre-order through Kalos Press. Click here for more info or to order.

No comments:

Post a Comment